A&R Solar is a leading solar installer in the Northwest, bringing together passionate, talented people who want to do the right thing for our customers and the environment. Since 2007, we've led the industry in such distinctions as B-Corporation status, charitable solar programs, and our 10-year performance guarantee. We believe that investment in our staff and our communities is the new standard. Be a part of a fun team that is committed to the growth of all employees.
We are searching for a Commercial Solar Designer to add to our Projects Team.
As a member of the Commercial Design Team at A&R Solar, the Commercial Solar Designer is responsible for furnishing shop drawings and submittal packets on a wide range of project types that include flat or pitched rooftops, carports, solar canopies, ground mounts, and battery energy storage systems. This position will coordinate with the projects team to provide complex design solutions, and will also engage with external engineers, architects, and contractors, and is ultimately responsible for providing all mechanical and electrical design details suitable for permitting and installation.
- Prepare custom solar designs including all electrical calculations and interconnection strategies; electrical equipment, racking, mounting, site layout drawings, BOM parts list, and specific installation requirements.
- Maintain current knowledge of ETO, NEC, IFC and all building codes applicable to proper solar system design in Washington and Oregon.
- Complete Submittals packets and other required design documentation including Single Line diagrams and detailed racking guides to be used for permitting as well as construction documents for installation teams.
- Occasionally perform site-visits.
- Quality assurance checks on initial solar designs.
- Coordinate with third party engineers and architects to review designs and obtain PE stamps for permitting..
- Regularly work with the Commercial Design Team to contribute to design process improvement.
- Become familiar with and implement new products and design resources to suit project needs.
- Work with building departments, utilities, or other AHJ’s to insure compliance with local and national codes for permit acquisitions.
- Work closely with sales, project management and installation teams to ensure client’s needs and internal deadlines are met.
- Coordinate with A&R Admin Staff to meet permitting and utility deadlines.
- Log workflow and communications in company CRM.
- Assist Project Management team with client calls to provide technical support as needed.
- Perform additional duties as assigned or directed.
- Working knowledge of grid-tied photovoltaic and BESS systems.
- Knowledge in PV performance analysis using industry standard tools such as Helioscope, Aurora, or PV Syst.
- Knowledge of basic electrical design theory and concepts.
- Knowledge of residential and commercial construction.
- Knowledge of current electrical and building codes with strong emphasis on NEC and IFC codes.
- Able to read and understand Blueprints
- Experience using CAD or Sketchup or equivalent 3D modeling software
- MS Office (Excel), Adobe Pro.
- Multi-tasking/ ability to concurrently work on several ongoing projects
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Technical writing skills.
- Remote work experience
- Self motivated and team player
- Detail oriented
- Positive thinker
- Problem solver
- Enjoys complex projects
- Takes pride in work and strives for the best quality.
- Enjoys working with others
- NABCEP certification or completed PV educational coursework
- 2-5 years Solar PV design experience.
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Generous Paid time off
- Matching 401k retirement plan
- Ownership opportunity (after 3 years)
- Recreational/gym annual stipend
- Educational assistance
- Ability to work from home
- Public transit & clean transportation stipend
ABOUT A&R SOLAR
Want to learn more about us or view other open positions?