A&R Solar, a leading solar installer in the Pacific Northwest is searching for a General Manager to oversee the team, budgets, and operations of our Portland Division. Reporting directly to the COO and working with the board, the General Manager will formulate overall strategy, establish policies, optimize performance, and guide culture.
The Portland General Manager will ensure smooth day-to-day operations, customer satisfaction, and execute strategic initiatives. The ideal candidate must be a thoughtful leader, confident decision-maker, understand broad market trends and the local competitive landscape, and help our team develop and be productive while ensuring profits and morale remain high. Ultimately, the Portland General Manager will help A&R Solar grow and thrive!
Qualities we seek in our General Manager:
- High emotional intelligence.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to keep the big picture in mind with an attention to detail.
- Enjoys process creation and implementation.
- Able to collaborate/team build at all levels within the organization.
- Exercises good judgment in decision making.
- A background in the construction and/or solar field.
Key Responsibilities of the General Manager:
- Create and implement strategy designed to grow the business division and the broader organization.
- Develop tactical programs to pursue targeted goals and measurable objectives.
- Communicate the strategy and results to the team with story and data.
- Maintain professional and technical knowledge by attending educational workshops, reviewing professional publications, foster personal networks, benchmarking state-of-the-art practices, and participating in professional organizations.
- Maintain quality service by establishing and enforcing organizational standards.
- Model values and ensure company culture is healthy and aligns with corporate values.
- Oversee daily operations of the Oregon division.
- Track and report on key performance indicators (KPI) to team members of all levels.
- Advise and support division employees in creating and achieving individual performance goals.
- Ensure the overall delivery and quality of the division’s offerings to customers.
- Evaluate and decide upon key investments in equipment, infrastructure, and talent.
- Collaborate with the board to establish and enforce policies and processes.
- Evaluate and improve operations and financial performance.
- Ensure staff follows health and safety regulations.
- Provide solutions to issues as they arise (e.g. profit decline, employee conflicts, loss of business to competitors).
- Report key results and share overall health of division to corporate officers.
- Oversee recruitment, hiring and talent development programs.
- Direct management of key functional managers and field staff in the division.
- Mentor and coach staff for professional conduct, growth, & development.
What the Successful Candidate Should Have:
- 5+ years of proven experience as a General Manager or similar leadership role
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Computer proficiency including Salesforce, Excel, Gmail and G Suite, and Dropbox
- Experience in planning and budgeting
- Knowledge of business process and functions (finance, HR, procurement, operations etc.)
- Curiosity for the solar marketplace and trends in design, pricing, and technology
- Outstanding organizational and leadership skills
- Strong analytical ability
- Problem-solving aptitude
- Team player with strong interpersonal and negotiation skills
- Health, dental, vision insurance
- Bonus opportunity
- Generous Paid Time Off
- Matching 401k retirement plan
- Ownership opportunity (after 3 years)
- Recreational/gym annual stipend
- Educational assistance
- Public transit & clean transportation stipend
Who is A&R Solar?
A&R Solar is a leading solar installer in the Pacific Northwest with a seasoned team of solar professionals. Since our founding in 2007, we have successfully installed over 2,800 solar arrays and 30 megawatts of clean energy including several landmark solar projects around the region. We proudly operate an employee-owned B-Corporation. Our full-time staff includes 33 employee owners and over 85 full-time employees, all with future ownership opportunities. Our customer base includes homeowners, small businesses, elementary schools, multi-national companies, electric utilities and, of course, many of our own employees. We've also been voted one of Puget Sound Business Journal’s Best Workplaces and Washington’s Fastest Growing Companies. Be a part of a fun team that is committed to the growth of all employees. Learn more about our company.
A&R Solar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer celebrating and encouraging diversity with our new and existing employees, which includes differences in race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, or Veteran status. When we think about our company, we recognize that our culture is the sum of our employees – and each new team member adds to the richness of our work environment. It is our hope that each employee will add something new and unique, as we pursue our common mission.